Painting the Town… Update (15/4/17)
OK technically I did everything in this update yesterday but I was enjoying the company of friends to post. After last weeks crit group I have decided to try out one of the ideas, which was to focus on the violence of one scene, edit it to then show the violence, and project into a purpose-built model of that scene. Here I have made a start on the internal model miniature of the one in Unforgiven (1992). I’ve been playing back and forth the clip to build up and image of the saloon over the day, sketching out elements to see how it looks together.
I then made a start on a loose model of the saloon which after only a day it has really taken shape. I had to gut the previous model to make room for this one as it was just a generic one for a prospective test which has been scrapped. I finished the day looking at the tables, which I believe were covered in green felt – for playing cards, these had to be reduced in diameter for scale too,
Moving on I have to add a fake wall at the top, I’m considering looking over the footage to see if I need to add a ceiling, as I have seen at least 3 posts that need to be added. Also turning to the entrance I need to redesign the door way and getting grim, I need to add a coffin that leans outside. I’ll do a few tests with this set after it’s painted white, see how they look. It’s a real change to recreate a set of a film, which I haven’t really done since Uni, being film specific is something I have wanted to avoid for most of my practice, there are times when that rule has to be broken.