Painting the Town… Update (7/8/17)


Today has marked a turning point in my practice, I am expanding what I can make. Pushing myself to work with interiors has forced me to make the furniture that goes with these settings. They can’t just be bear a shells of a model miniature, they need to be populated with loose pieces which I thought would be a challenge for me, which is why I left them for so long. It’s only due to the material I am working with and the concept in its current position that I am adapting my language to a whole other world of pieces and ultimately expanding what I am capable of.

I began the day by finishing off the pieces that sit against the wall, a few shelves and another tall shelf unit, which I thought was a small wall fixed pieces. Just shows the importance of referring back to your research when your making.

Moving on I made a start on two of the larger pieces – the beds. Something I decided to tackle as they are large pieces which would help determine how much space will be left in the model miniature. Beds being beds, they aren’t exactly angular. I decided to use some brown paper to wrap around a closed box that I made, to create a more believable mattress form with some weight to it. The bed frame took some time to work out. Once I reinforced the legs it could take it’s own weight. Looking at the sides the mattress does look at little high, I may alter that next time I’m working in the studio.

Moving on from the two beds, one double, another single, I turned to pieces I’d been thinking about in terms of construction. I thought that the chairs could all be made around cardboard tubes, which I could work with. So far I have only used one for an armchair, which works well for the form. The one that mirrors it is far more angular, again working from the visual research. I completed the odd set of armchairs with a mini table to sit in the middle of them, which was the easiest piece of the day. I’m find that the chairs will be the hardest to make.

I finished the day by looking forward to the rest of the chairs and furniture, it terms of how much space I have to play with when making the remaining pieces. I have already made use of two tables that I made previously for the other internal model miniature. I realised though that I needn’t worry too much as in the set there’s a collection of odd piece that don’t match so I am taking this idea forward when making to an extent, allowing me more creative freedom.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s