It’s another double update this weekend, due to a family party, which I attended I was unable to post yesterday. I did however make some really interesting progress in the studio. The writing process became somewhat sidetracked this time as I got further into what was happening that I had included the flying saucers, the alien presence into the plot visually, not just a few laser beams and shadows which I was looking to do. Ultimately that effect wouldn’t hold up for long.
I decided that after lunch I would go out shopping to pick up a few bits to see if I could construct a flying saucer or two. My initial thought was to use paper bowels, basically the shape I would be going for, that I could work with cheaply and effectively. Coming back with some cups and silver paint too I got to work.
I knew the basic shape would be two bowls, one upside down on-top of another, it just how they became joined in between was my concern. Wanting to go for the classic 1950’s look of the silver flying saucer that fills the skies above. I thought by the end of the first day with two pieces I was getting somewhere when I came up with a protruding rim to define the two halves of the saucer. For a while I liked the idea until I had extended it too far the pieces had begun to look like food or nothing resembling a sleek space ship.
I did some quick research into 1950s flying saucers I knew straight away what I had to do, simply fix two bowls end to end and go from there. Cutting a circle the diameter of the first bowl. With the second bowl I cut the edge off before fixing together. I also wanted to have a base for them to stand on without being too imposing – I cut a thickness of a paper cup that I them filled at the base with a circle of cardboard before fixing in place. I knew there and then that I had achieved the look of my flying saucer. The simplicity of it’s design, little messing about with circles before it came together. Also I can stand it up (maybe raise with a full cup.
I had some time left to write a little more, but I know that this piece is going to be far bigger in scope than my earlier piece. The more I look at it, I can see it’s going to be an animation of possible feature length and will take a long time to both create the set-pieces, animate and pull together in post-production. If this is the direction of the piece I’m currently in development and writing it far from complete. I have a rough idea of why the aliens arrive and their intent, I just need to see this first draft through and see what I have to work with.