I thought I had a decent plant to produce work with my time in the studio. That wasn’t to be, but I see a pattern that might occur.
I began the day by adding the last bits of detail to the first 3 pieces, which just need to fix before they can be stored away for now. I then moved onto the 4th piece which is probably taking as long as the larger version took.
I then moved onto the first of 3 new pieces which are at various stages of construction. The first two have got a lot of detail already so are moving along nicely.
Whilst the last one of the day I noticed that the solid smaller scale piece had the wrong dimensions so had to be partially made again. Taking up more time than I wanted. I did however make a solid start which will allow me to jump straight into it next time.
Now I think the pattern that’s emerging is that whilst I want to have no more than 4 pieces on the go at any one time, when they first start I can’t then turn to the spaceship or any other piece as they require more time. It’s just something I have to accept. As much as I want to juggle time sometimes won’t allow. I was disappointed but I understand the reason behind it. So next time I’m in the studio progress will more than likely be made on the spaceship, which I really can’t wait to see come together more than any of the other pieces right now.
I’ve back in the studio today my break last weekend. My focus was to get the remaining 5 pieces made up for the smaller scale town, which I did in a few hours. I’m pretty pleased with how fast they shot up, just 3 visits and they are done.
I made a little time to add some cracks to the ranchers house, bringing that ruined version to completion.
I can now move onto the ruined versions, which like the larger pieces will take a lot longer to make up and replicate. These all have to be made up in stages, first the sides have to be made up, with the cracks added too, no longer will they be a final touch due to the scale I’ll be working at how. Then when all the sides are fixed together I can add a scaled down version of the balsa detail, going for main details first and seeing what I can add afterwards. Once these are done I’ll be moving onto the new spaceships which I sketched out last weekend. I’ll be keeping an element of the flying saucers in these new pieces. They’ll be fun to make and there could be less of them, which is a bonus for on the storage front.
Today I set out to do more than I could really manage, although, looking back I can see I’ve made a good stab at that target.
The aim of the day was to make up the rest of the cardboard town at 1:72 scale, which I have apart from 5 pieces out of 11 remaining from yesterday, so over half have been made up in the full stage. Again I’ve kept the detail minimal, able to work rather fast, at least one piece an hour before leaving the studio, that’s even including one I had to remake at the end of the day.
I also had time to add a little more detail to the ranch in ruins, working around the door frame now. All I need to add is the cracks to complete it.
Next weekend I’ll be taking a break to recharge after a good run of making which I’ll pick up on my return. What I will be doing in redesigning the spaceships. Hoping to keep the flying saucers in some form, even if I build around them, even having fewer and some bigger pieces. This would be more in line with comic book and film, this more than likely cause a rewrite to a certain extent. For now I can only imagine what will happen, I know that the current pieces won’t be affected.
If I could take anything away from this last 7 months in the studio it would be that I’ve learned to make pieces multiple times. This is all part of the world building for the animation. The first pieces to be en-masse were a smaller scale flying saucer for at least one scene. It sounds mad to make all that work for the minimum of one scene, however the way things are progressing I might be using more of them throughout the work.
Another big and consuming part was the frontier town. Starting as an upgrade from the VHS boxes I used for Playing with Plastic (2018) I wanted something more substantial. Using the sturdier cardboard I began to upgrade them all. It was only a few weeks ago that I was able to finish the first set. Another scene then required the same pieces in a ruined state, which meant far more detail than these loose pieces based on much earlier designs. These new pieces needed more work, first keeping the dimensions exactly the same, before drawing in where the aliens laser beam would have fired. This act reveals the wooden framework of the buildings that had to be realised. The whole process was far more intensive, which I was at first ready to undertake. With enough pieces to keep me going for a few days/weeks as they needed detail adding every so often before being completed (except for painting). Currently I now have one piece left to make, more will be made in the new year for a different set/location. The process soon became repetitive and got me down, I needed to break away from them but I realised that’s not something I wanted to do, I pushed and now have two (almost complete) towns.
What I can take away from this is that not every aspect of the making process can be enjoyed. However I have proven to myself that I can stick to a design and replicate. My making skills regarding the ruined pieces has improved, they still need some work on them to distress them further, which I’ll carry out when later on.