I’ve done more than I expected, its been a day of thinking, which has not really answered anything yet for me. I was sitting by the work on the floor, wondering what I was doing with it. I want to animate it, it’s crying out to be animated, I want to try a new technique out so why not do it with this work.
The script is the big thing that gets me every time, should I let it go or not, should I film it, even partially. I’m really not wanting dialogue in this, it complicates things, titles or subtitles maybe something, which adds a useless layer to the work which needn’t be there. I still like the idea of animation accompanying the model, with stills, to see it as a work in progress. That is more engaging for me. The script is what got me here I’ve used it as the basis for what I have and now I want something else.
Which I have been thinking of about experimenting with green-screen which I did mention yesterday. I want to see how it can work with my models, allow for more realistic backgrounds, or just to mess about and see what happens with background possibilities, combing that with animation. Another trip to Bradgate Park maybe in order to get more locations, or even footage from Youtube. I’m not sure. I need to grapple with green-screen which I think I understand is a screen that can be removed in post-production and replaced with another image.
This lead me whilst buying supplies to get a few pieces of green paper, as near to the florescent I could get, grabbing a few roles to work with and balsa dowel to work with. I ended the day by fixing the dowelling to a base, before taping a length of the paper, like a scroll which I can stretch to the appropriate size. I’ve already learned that I need it from top to bottom in places. More support is needed in locations for the paper/screen to stay up long enough to be worked with. So I may need to make purpose built frames to wrap the paper/screen around, Hopefully they can be used in multiple places. The progress will be slow for now, I can see things working though.
Onto cardboard matters the construction of the backlot is complete, working on the train-station which I kept forgetting about, more concerned with the houses which were complicated at first. Having a row of three which I decided to make. It was all down to the angle they were drawn at. Having to measure the section out again to get my head around how to construct these houses, even with a side porch design. It was touch and go for a while, a few pieces were pulled apart and regaled. I’m pleased with how it looks. Not sure I’ll be making a row of three at my normal scale though.
The rest of the houses, were much more straight forward, looking for designs that would fit, I kept thinking about one design which came with a front garden, I may do this a normal scale, for now I have just the house.
Another aspect of the work I have been thinking about is the aesthetic of the piece. Already there is one finished model fixed in place, whilst another is primed ready for painting, the balk of the models are plain cardboard, I’m tempted this time to draw on the detail with a pen, which would then lean towards a simpler background. I do enjoy the painting process of my models and this would be no different adding the wooden detail. I have no intention of painting the figures, maybe the same should apply to the sets to maintain the language. Just like my first cardboard frontier town at art-school. It would be back to basics again, allow the action to take centre stage.